A MAP of the BEACONS in KENT
as they were appointed by SR WILLIAM BROOKE LD. COBHAM. Ld. Chamberlain to QUEEN ELIZABETH Ld Lieut.t of KENT. and A Prospect of the Church called the Reculvers in Kent.345.
A delightful map showing the beacons of Kent, above which there is a view of a church called the ‘Reculvers in Kent’. Shield with dedication to Mr Richard Mount, ‘Citizen and Stationer of London Native of Kent’. Before accurate maps were available, people used to navigate by prominent landmarks such as hills, standing stones and later Church towers and spires. Hills were used for a vast communications network of fire beacons. This map was based on that by William Lambarde published in 1596 in his “Perambulation of Kent”, called “A Carde, of the Beacons, in Kent”. Lambarde’s map was much criticised at the time for giving away state secrets.
Don't understand our descriptions? Try reading our Glossary
Copper engraving. Later colour. Good condition, some very slight browning at centrefold. Size: 27 x 34 cm. (10 x 13 inches)