Engraved by J & C Walker
ANCIENT GREECE. NORTHERN PART
Benevolent societies with the intention to disseminate knowledge were a distinguishing feature of the Victorian age. SDUK was founded in 1827 by John, Earl Russell and Henry Brougham, later Lord Chancellor of England. The Society published books that were deemed to be of high educational worth but with an affordable price. These fine steel engravings have original hand colouring and are often embellished with vignettes and comparisons of the height of the principal buildings of the city. An atrractive map showing Northern Greece from the Corinthian Gulf up to the present border in the north.
Don't understand our descriptions? Try reading our Glossary
Good condition. Some light offsetting. Size: 40.5 x 32.5 cm. (16 x 13 inches)