Engraved by J & C Walker
WESTERN SIBERIA, INDEPENDENT TARTARY, KHIVA, BOKHARA
Benevolent societies with the intention to disseminate knowledge were a distinguishing feature of the Victorian age. SDUK was founded in 1827 by John, Earl Russell and Henry Brougham, later Lord Chancellor of England. The Society published books that were deemed to be of high educational worth but with an affordable price. These fine steel engravings have original hand colouring and are often embellished with vignettes and comparisons of the height of the principal buildings of the city. Extent: from the Russian Lapland and Nova Zemlia in the north to Khiva and Bokhara in the south and from the Caspian Sea in the west to Yeniseisk in the east. Inset maps of Nova Zemlia and Yeniseisk.
Don't understand our descriptions? Try reading our Glossary
Steel engraving. Original outline colour.uo A very small wormhole in the centre, otherwise in good condition. Size: 31.5 x 40 cm. (12 x 15 inches)