PONTING, Herbert George.
The Terra Nova at the Icefoot, Cape Evans.
This photograph is enlarged from a negative made by H. G. Ponting during the British Antarctic Expedition, taken on 16 January, 1911. The image shows the Terra Nova tethered to the ice at Cape Evans. The Cape was named after Lieutenant Edward Evans (1880-1957), Scott’s second in command on Terra Nova. Scott discovered the place during his Discovery expedition of 1901-4. When he returned in 1910, it was here that he built the expedition hut, which still stands today.
Don't understand our descriptions? Try reading our Glossary
Sheet size: 73 53.5 cm. Original green toned carbon print on board. Top corners chipped and repaired, a couple of marks to the surface. Presented double glazed in a black and gilt period style frame showing the original Fine Arts Society label to the verso.