PONTING, Herbert George.
The Terra Nova at the Icefoot, Cape Evans.
Signed in pencil lower left by Ponting. This photograph is enlarged from a negative made by Ponting during the British Antarctic Expedition, taken on 16 January, 1911. The image shows the Terra Nova tethered to the ice at Cape Evans. The Cape was named after Lieutenant Edward Evans (1880-1957), Scott’s second in command on Terra Nova. Scott discovered the place during his Discovery expedition of 1901-4. When he returned in 1910, it was here that he built the expedition hut, which still stands today.
Don't understand our descriptions? Try reading our Glossary
Original green tinted carbon print on board. Window mount laid down, image to view 43.5 x 31 cm. Four horizontal surface scratches to area of sky at top of image.