A pleasant copperplate view of the east Cornish town of Launceston, glimpsed beyond the bridge that spans the nearby Tamar river. The ruins of the Norman ‘Motte-and-Bailey’ castle dominates the town skyline. Launceston was once the capital of the Earldom of Cornwall, until replaced by Lostwithiel in the thirteenth century, and it was also Cornwall’s county town until it was replaced by Bodmin during the 1830’s. The print is accompanied with its original sheet of text.
Don't understand our descriptions? Try reading our Glossary
Size: 205 × 275 mm. Copperplate engraving with later hand colour. Fine condition.