ROWLEY, Henry, The Rev.
The Story of the Universities’ Mission to Central Africa,
from its Commencement under Bishop Mackenzie to its Withdrawal from the Zambesi.
Second edition, one year after the first, somewhat reduced in format, but the text unabridged. Account of the society’s disastrous first missionary expedition which took them into Nyasaland, now Malawi . Founded in 1860 by a coalition of groups in Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, and Dublin Universities, the Universities’ Mission to Central Africa was inspired by the lectures that David Livingstone gave on his visit to England in 1857 and was established with two main aims: to establish a missionary presence in Central Africa, and to offer active opposition to the slave trade. It was the first mission society operated by the high church faction of the Anglican Church, and was unique among Anglican missions in that primary authority rested not with a committee based in Britain, but with a bishop in the field, for which purpose Charles Mackenzie was consecrated bishop of central Africa in Cape Town Cathedral in January 1861. The missionary party set off up the Zambezi into Shire, where their choice of Magomero as their base was fatally flawed, placing them in the middle of a region, ridden with disease and deeply troubled by intertribal conflicts. Bishop Mackenzie died there of Blackwater Fever on 31 January 1862, along with three other members of the tiny missionary party, and many local people. Early conversion efforts from this base yielded little result, and supplies ran out or were destroyed during a period of famine. Under its new bishop, W.G. Tozer, the mission subsequently withdrew from the area, abandoning the graves of the missionaries who had died there, and establishing a new headquarters in Zanzibar.
Don't understand our descriptions? Try reading our Glossary
Octavo (190 119 mm). Contemporary green calf prize binding by Rivingtons for Felsted School, red morocco label, compartments gilt with olive branch corner-pieces and floral centre-tools, double fillet gilt panel to both boards, school badge gilt to the front board, marbled edges and endpapers, foliate roll in blind to the turn-ins. Frontispiece and 7 other plates, 2 full-page maps, numerous illustrations to the text. A little rubbed and scuffed, joints cracking at the head of the front and tail of the lower, but firm, remains pleasing, light toning to the contents, pencilled prize inscription dated 1869 to verso of the front free endpaper, a very good copy.