NALIVKINE, Vladimir Petrovic.
Histoire de Khanat de Khokand.
Traduit de Russe par Auguste Dozon.
First French edition, originally published in Russian in 1886 at Kazan, this edition issued for l’École des langues orientales vivantes. Institutionally well-represented, but uncommon in commerce with just two copies at auction in the last 50 years. An important account of the Khanate of Kokand, a city now in the Ferganah Region of Uzbekistan. Nalivkine (1852-1918) began his career as an artillery officer, and saw service in the conquest of Khiva in 1875, the following year becoming commander of Namengan in Ferghana. He then left the service to become a “rural proprietor” (translator’s preface), and embarked on ethnographical and linguistic studies of the region, producing in time both the first Russo-Sart, and Russo-Uzbek dictionaries. In 1884 he was recalled to the service at the specific instructions of Gen. Cherniaev, the governor-general of Russian Turkestan, in order to establish a school at Tashkent for the teaching of Russian and mathematics, while himself occupying the chair in Sart and Persian at the lycée there. Nalivkine was the author of the first course-book for the elementary schools that the Russians were establishing throughout the region. He was a member of the Tashkent State Duma, and subsequently head of the Turkestan Committee of the Provisional Government, and commander of the Turkestan Military District. In November 1917, power in Tashkent was seized by the Bolsheviks and their Left Social Revolutionary allies, and with the transfer of power to the soviets, Nalivkine went into hiding. He committed suicide in January 1918. An excellent copy in an attractive contemporary binding by Bretault, a pupil of Victor Champs, and recognised as one of the foremost binders practising in Paris at the turn of the nineteenth century (Devauchelle, La Reliure en France, III, p. 127).
Don't understand our descriptions? Try reading our Glossary
Quarto (273 172 mm). Contemporary dark blue half morocco, marbled boards, by Joseph Bretault, top edge gilt, marbled endpapers, tricolour silk page-marker. Original wraps bound in front and back. Double-page engraved map. A very lightly rubbed at the extremities, pale toning, a very good copy.