DANVERS, Frederick Charles, & Sir M. Monier-Williams (and others).
Memorials of Old Haileybury College.
First edition. Haileybury was formerly the East India College, founded by the East India Company in 1806 as a training establishment for administrators of the Honourable East India Company. After the Indian Mutiny of 1857 the college was wound up but in 1862 a public school that retained close links with the EIC opened on the site. The school’s primary purpose during the second half of the 19th century was to serve the British Empire, principally in India.
Don't understand our descriptions? Try reading our Glossary
Large square octavo. Original dark red cloth neatly repaired, gilt lettered spine and front cover, top edges gilt. Frontispiece, 15 plates, 4 illustrations in the text, 3 folding plans of the college. Binding patchily faded otherwise clean and sound.