A Grammar of the Hindustani Language.
Third edition.London: Printed for the Author, by Cox and Baylis, and sold by Kingsbury, Parbury, and Allen, 1826 Stock Code: 140865
Third edition of an essential text for the dedicated servant of the East India Company; preceded by editions of 1813 and 1818, all early iterations being uncommon. This copy with an appealing Indian provenance, bearing the contemporary ownership inscription at head of the title page of John H. W. Waugh, assistant surgeon on the Bengal Medical Establishment.
Waugh graduated MA in 1828 and while in India in 1837 was attached to the 1st Bengal Native Infantry, apparently stationed at Akyab (now Sittwe, Myanmar). By 1857 he had returned home to Scotland and set up practice in Lanark.
John Shakespear (1774-1858) was the son of a Leicestershire small farmer, educated at the parish school, and afterwards at that of a clergyman, who brought Shakespear to the attention of the lord of the manor, Lord Rawdon. Rawdon, contemplating a mission to North Africa, sent Shakespear to learn Arabic in London. "About 1805 Shakespear was appointed to an oriental professorship at the Royal Military College, Marlow. When the East India Company opened its college at Addiscombe in 1809, he was appointed professor of Hindustani. While there he compiled a Hindustani grammar (1813) and dictionary (1817), and various textbooks. Of the first edition of his dictionary he said that it was little more than a revision of one published in Calcutta by William Hunter, but subsequent editions contained the results of his own scholarship. In 1829 he retired from the East India Company's service with a pension. Being frugal he put by a considerable part of his salary and, with the large sums from the sale of his books, he was able on his retirement to buy Langley Priory, near Ashby-de-la-Zouch, thereby fulfilling, it was said, the ambition of his boyhood" (ODNB).
Quarto (249 x 187 mm). Contemporary half calf neatly rebacked preserving the original green label, sides and corners trimmed with a blind scrolling foliate roll, French Shell pattern marbled sides, red speckled edges.
10 engraved plates of Persian and Nagari characters (numbered 1-4 + 1 unnumbered entitled "Persian Writing" + one plate numbered 7 + 5 plates numbered I-V), all by J. Swaine, the last 5 after C. Wilkins (collates complete against the copy at Ghent Univers
Modern bookplates of Saint Benedict's, Fort Augustus. Scattered foxing, paper flaw to leaf E1 (with loss of a few letters only). A very good copy.
With the exception of framed items*, Peter Harrington offers free delivery on all UK orders of rare books, maps and prints placed through this website. Delivery to USA and the rest of the world is similarly free for orders over £200.
Established in 1969, Peter Harrington is one of the leading rare book firms in the world. It is a proud member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association – along with ILAB, the PBFA and Lapada – and from shops in Mayfair and Chelsea, London, sells rare books, prints and ephemera to customers across the world.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7591 0220