Golosuite za spisok #7.
[Vote for List No. 7].[Petrograd: Tsentr. Tipograf, 1917] Stock Code: 134554
"A new Russia should be built by women and men together!"A remarkable survival of a flyer printed by the All-Russian League of Equal Rights for Women for their political campaign for the election to the Constituent Assembly in November 1917. The League participated in elections as its own party under the number 7.
In English the flyer text reads: ''Female Citizens and male citizens! The League of Equality for Women, wishing that the right of women to participate in the Constituent Assembly was not only on paper, expose its candidates to the Constituent Assembly. Vote for the list number 7. If you want our children not to grow up without a home and the old people to not die on the street - send women to the Constituent Assembly. In America, Australia and other countries where women take part in the drafting of laws the number of schools is multiplied, prisons are empty, debauchery and drunkenness noticeably diminish, the protection of children and the elderly is fully secured by law. Let's send women to the Constituent Assembly too. The old Russia was built only by men, and the grief and misfortunes of the motherland were always shared with them by mothers, wives and daughters. A new Russia should be built by women and men together! The most important Russian laws will be written in the Constituent Assembly. From the laws that will be created in the Constituent Assembly, the fate and life of many generations depends not only on men, but also on women, and so send women to the Constituent Assembly''.
The campaign for women's political rights in Russia, termed the ''women's liberation movement'', became possible only with the beginning of the revolution in 1905, when the question of the democratization of the political system arose. The oldest women's association in Russia, the All-Russian Women's Mutual Charity Society (established in 1895), was actively involved, and new organizations were created: the Union for the Equality of Women (1905), Women's Progressive Party (1905), and the All-Russian League of Equal Rights for Women (1907). The most influential organization was the first, the Union, which had 48 offices in various cities across Russia and actively conducted agitation among women workers and peasants. After its disintegration the League of Equal Rights for Women became its successor. Members of the League deliberately abandoned the broad political programme and focused their attention only on suffragist demands, practising agitation tours through the provinces (Orel, Saratov, Rostov-on-Don, Kremenets, Tomsk, Kiev, Simferopol, and Narva). As a result, branches of the League emerged in many cities, including Moscow (1910), Kharkov (1912), Tomsk (1914), and Yekaterinburg (1914). This included the establishment of the following departments: a reading room for street children with a view to preventing child prostitution; a publishing committee that printed cheap pamphlets and books on women's issues; and an editorial commission that published the proceedings of the congress. Every day reports were given on the issues of women's equality in the League's premises.
After the February Revolution delegates from the League repeatedly met with the leaders of the Soviet of Workers' and Soldiers' Deputies on the issue of women's suffrage. Despite initial promises of support they refused to immediately act on granting political rights to women. In response, the League organised the famous mass march on 20 March 1917 which brought together about 40,000 women. To that date it was the most numerous and memorable stand by the Russian women's movement, and resulted in the adoption by the Provisional Government of a decree on universal suffrage, which was passed on 20 July 1917.
Single-sided flyer (365 x 220 mm).
In near-fine condition.
With the exception of framed items*, Peter Harrington offers free delivery on all UK orders of rare books, maps and prints placed through this website. Delivery to USA and the rest of the world is similarly free for orders over £200.
Established in 1969, Peter Harrington is one of the leading rare book firms in the world. It is a proud member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association – along with ILAB, the PBFA and Lapada – and from shops in Mayfair and Chelsea, London, sells rare books, prints and ephemera to customers across the world.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7591 0220