On Several Occasions. New Edition Revised and Enlarged. With Illustrations. In Two Volumes.London: Kegan Paul, Trench, Trübner, & Co. Ltd, 1895 Stock Code: 144802
Finely bound by the Guild of Women BindersSigned limited edition, number 77 of 200 copies printed on hand-made paper, with proof impressions of the etchings, and signed by Dobson in pencil on the portrait frontispiece. This copy is elegantly bound by the Guild of Women Binders, and belonged to the Marchioness of Crewe.
The Guild was established in 1898 by a bookseller, Frank Karslake, as "a way of publicising and promoting the sale of books bound by women" (Tidcombe, pp. 27-8). Karslake set up the Guild following a display in his shop from November 1897 to February 1898 entitled an "Exhibition of Artistic Bookbinding by Women". This exhibition featured the work of female binders such as Annie S. Macdonald, whom Karslake met showcasing their binding at the Victorian Era Exhibition of 1897, many of who would become founding members of the Guild. In 1899 Karslake's daughter, Constance, set up a workshop for the Guild in Hampstead where members could train and work. In keeping with the co-operative spirit of the Guild few bindings were signed by the individuals involved, the majority left unsigned, as here. Despite its short history, the Guild is a notable part of binding history as the binders produced "designs that were freer and less stereotyped than those of men in the trade, and they readily experimented with new techniques" (ibid. pp. 123-24).
This copy comes from the library of the medieval manor house West Horsley Place, in Surrey, and bears a gift inscription dated April 1899, recording the bequeathal from one J. Murray to "lady Peggy". The recipient was Margaret Etienne Hannah ("Peggy") Crewe-Milnes (née Primrose), Marchioness of Crewe (1881-1967), Political hostess; second wife of 1st and last Marquess of Crewe; daughter of 5th Earl of Rosebery.
2 volumes, octavo (201 x 123 mm). Finely bound by the Guild of Women Binders in tan full morocco, titles in gilt to spines, tooled in gilt with foliate tulip motifs within single gilt fillet frame to spines and boards, foliate motifs and gilt ruling to turn-ins, marbled endpapers, top edges gilt, others untrimmed, partly unopened, yellow silk page markers.
Etched frontispieces, and 6 similar plates.
Spines a touch darkened, a couple of darkened spots to front board of vol. 2, the bindings otherwise bright and firm, first and last few pages in each vol. a little darkened and warped by damp, else internally clean and fresh; an attractive set.
With the exception of framed items*, Peter Harrington offers free delivery on all UK orders of rare books, maps and prints placed through this website. Delivery to USA and the rest of the world is similarly free for orders over £200.
Established in 1969, Peter Harrington is one of the leading rare book firms in the world. It is a proud member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association – along with ILAB, the PBFA and Lapada – and from shops in Mayfair and Chelsea, London, sells rare books, prints and ephemera to customers across the world.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7591 0220